Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Toadally unexpected

These purple beauties demanded their photo be taken and I obligingly took several.  I sat by the pond for several minutes looking at them and the breathtaking view out over the Pacific Ocean along the Hana Highway.  At one point in my peripheral view, it seemed the lily pads moved, surged up.  I watched the pond intently.  No movement, perhaps the Maui sun has baked my brain.


A cooling wind stirred.  I leaned my head back to watch the palm fronds sway against the backdrop of the tropical blue sky.  When I decided to get up off the ground, I looked squarely into two angry eyes staring intently at me.  She sat still so I did the same.  I sat still some more.  She moved......toward me, grumbled something that if interpreted was most likely akin to "Mama's gonna mess you up".  It was then that I saw many black tadpoles wriggling amongst the lily pads and Mama's feet.  Not one to aggravate the wildlife, I packed up and moved on with the day.


It would seem she is a Cane Toad.  Also called Marine Toad or Bufo marinus.  They like to be near water for breeding and apparently it's breeding/birthing time on Maui by the looks of this one up above.   They secrete a poisonous substance from the glands in their neck if they feel threatened.  A dog could die if they bite one.  Scientists strongly advise against licking them as it can cause a horrible tongue fungus or even death.  What??!?!  Here I was looking for a stick laying about on which to have a Toadipop.  Sorry, you'd clearly have to be stoned out of your gourd to lick a toad.  Just sayin'.

2 comments:

  1. When I finish laughing my butt off, I'll try to type something coherent. Holy crap, the glaring toad is hilarious! And your second-to-last sentence? Full of the awesome.

    Love these, PJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Paula we are stoned out of our gourd because we had a "Toadipop". I'm pretty sure i love that word now.

    It always amazes me how colors that are oppisite each other on the color wheel grow together so harminously in nature! The flower is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete